Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Stephen ingham (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

swinging arm bearings help

Hi guys I have a 2004 S1 FZ6N and on the recent MOT test they advised that there was some slight lateral play in the swinging arm bushes, so I figured I am going to plan on replacing the chain and sprockets soon so thought it might be a good opportunity to do the swinging arm bearings too.

My questions are:
    Am I right in saying it seems like quite a simple enough task for a DIY mechanic?
    How can I support the bike not having a centre stand?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated

Stephen
    2004 FZ6 IN black
    Frame sliders, tail tidy, givi top bix

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: swinging arm bearings help

Page 4-68 of the S1 Yamaha shop manual shows only two bushings in the ends of the swing arm.

Do you have a shop manual?

Besides a bunch of dismantling, (wheel, perhaps the Cat, lower the header, remove the lower shock bolt), it's do able, a bit time consuming.

Re supporting the rear, perhaps supporting the rear of the bike with adjustable, trailer "hold down straps" to the garage rafter. Maybe the side-stand
    partially supported (to keep it from swaying so much).

I've never swapped the bushings out in this bike, did an XS 650 MANY years ago. The only real difference here is the exhaust right smack in the middle of it and the one shock, also in the middle..

Someone assembled it, shouldn't be that bad.

(Pic expires in 7 days)
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-11-2018 at 03:50 PM.
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I put together a 2x4 box (log cabin style) a little higher than the center of the bike, tipped it up on the sidestand and had a helper position the block roughly where the center stand bolted up. Pay attention to where the weight is bearing.

I had my swingarm off a little while ago (also an 04) item 10 in the ipc is a needle bearing, item 11 is a machined tube forming the inner race. Driving the old ones out might be the hardest part, other than that just being time consuming.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bike stands securely with just center stand.
    I've swaped swingarms last summer in that way.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-t...tml#post634628

Stephen ingham (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the replies guys.
    I think I need to look at making something for the bike to sit on where the centre stand would be...
    On the note of things to remove, I only need to remove the cat don't I and not the headers?
    2004 FZ6 IN black
    Frame sliders, tail tidy, givi top bix

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen ingham View Post
    On the note of things to remove, I only need to remove the cat don't I and not the headers?
    That's correct but I believe you have to loosen one end of the cat (top pipe OR lower the header slightly) so you have room to R &R the cat.
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen ingham View Post
    thanks for the replies guys.
    I think I need to look at making something for the bike to sit on where the centre stand would be...
    I found I had to remove the muffler to make room to remove the cat, I was also removing my shock at the time. Pulling the cat took some effort, but it came eventually