Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Johnson (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Riding above ~7K

Hi there,

Newish rider (1 year, 10k miles) with a 05 FZ6 as my first bike. I remember reading early on when I was first deciding about getting this bike as my first bike about something keeping it under 7-8K otherwise she gets crazy. It's been a year and I feel comfortable with the bike thus far but that rule has stuck with me as a warning but I never knew exactly what that means. What exactly happens when you get in the higher RPMs? Does it matter what gear? It has always felt so naturally to shift at the ~7K mark, especially once I shifted to clutchless shifts the thought of riding above that range seems....odd?

Senior rider
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Riding above ~7K

At 7-8K the FZ6 is just getting going really good. (For perspective about the next sentence, I have a mental "10,11,12 rule"; i.e., in 4th gear multiply the rpms by 10 to get mph, in 5th gear multiply rpms by 11 to get mph, and in 6th gear multiply rpms by 12 to get mph. I seldom watch the speedometer. So if I'm in 6th gear doing 7K rpms, that's roughly 85 mph. In my mind, if you really need to pass someone on a two lane road, and you're in 6th gear at 60 mph, that's only about 5K rpms. You'd really need to downshift at least two gears to get going rapidly, and a third downshift is often preferable for a short passing zone.) So get out on the open road and try running thru the gears, from the bottom gear, shifting at 12,500 rpms or so. By the time you hit those rpms in 4th gear you'll be going more than a ton. You'll have a whole new perspective about your bike! Personally, my used 2007 FZ6 was inexpensive to buy, and the cheapest bike I've ever had to insure - liability and comprehensive only. So I ride it like I stole it quite a bit - and it just keeps on ticking. (I'm 71 and a senior rider, but I do all the necessary maintenance, I ride ATGATT and I don't ever do wheelies intentionally.)
    - - - Jim

Most problems can be solved with a suitable application of throttle.
    2007 FZ6 Faster Blue Killernoodle clutch mod; Motogiro headlight mod; Givi E21 hard bags; Sena SMH10 = awesome!

3. Likes gnyce, Johnson liked this post
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just to add to the above, FIRST and second gears @WOT will usually wheelie just a little (no steering) from a rolling start.

Just be cautious at that RPM /gear @WOT until you get used to it..

As noted, the bike will get to speed quickly.

Second gear with stock gearing, WOT, is about 85 MPH, which gets there REAL quick..
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 2007Fizzer View Post
    (I'm 71 and a senior rider, but I do all the necessary maintenance, I ride ATGATT and I don't ever do wheelies intentionally.)
    Sir, I want to be you when I grow up...

6. Likes Monica A, Ohendo liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The FZ6 has an incredibly wide rev range. After 7-8k rpms is where the engine begins to make good power. If you have not explored that rev range do to inexperience, then you have proven that you have the maturity to push the bike a little harder.

Jim, at 55 I thought that I was the old man on this forum...I'm glad to see that's not the case.
    Lifelong student of motorcycling. Current bikes: Naked '05 FZ6, LS650 Café Racer, DRZ400 Street Tracker

It's all good! Riding above ~7K trepetti's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary in NJ View Post
    The FZ6 has an incredibly wide rev range. After 7-8k rpms is where the engine begins to make good power. If you have not explored that rev range do to inexperience, then you have proven that you have the maturity to push the bike a little harder.

Jim, at 55 I thought that I was the old man on this forum...I'm glad to see that's not the case.
    Well said Gary. And as I near the end of my 60th year, I may have taken second place. Riding above ~7K

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    2005 FZ6 - FZ1 bar, Killernoodle clutch lever, Puig windscreen, Woodcraft sliders, BD43 headlight mod, Watsen LED signals, 2-Wheels levers, Givi tank bag and topcase, Galfer SS brake lines, LED pod lights, Motodynamic tail light, Grip Puppies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's funny, I find no reason whatsoever to go above 7K OK, maybe 8K every now and then. What's the point? 8K it starts to vibrate. I went up one tooth on the CS sprocket and shucks 7K is over a REAL 80MPH. I also lug down to 2K in 2nd, Of course I've been riding 54 years but still below 7K I,m still a rocket ship!

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trepetti View Post
    And as I near the end of my 60th year, I may have taken second place. Riding above ~7K
    I'm in the mix at 59!

Lots of old timers here!!

Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I bought my 07 new the shop said don't take it above 7 for the first 600 miles.

I made it about 200 miles before the devil made me do it. 7K is just where the bike wakes up.

Go out on a lonely road and begin to play with it in the upper rpm's using the lower gears or better yet do a track day with riding instruction. You'll be a better rider than you could ever learn on the street and you won't be sub 7 on the track for very long

Burning fossil fuel and loving it!!

12. Likes Monica A, Motogiro liked this post
    Johnson (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    Just to add to the above, FIRST and second gears @WOT will usually wheelie just a little (no steering) from a rolling start.

Just be cautious at that RPM /gear @WOT until you get used to it..

As noted, the bike will get to speed quickly.

Second gear with stock gearing, WOT, is about 85 MPH, which gets there REAL quick..
    WOT?

What does stand for?

14. Thanks Monica A thanked for this post

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast