Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Re: Riding above ~7K

Quote Originally Posted by Johnson View Post
    Also heard this difference between the inline 4s vs the V-twins when I was first looking at bikes. Just curious what are your thoughts on the tripples? Are they really the best of both worlds?

Well I've explored the mild-manndered side thus far and looking forward to experiencing the other side.
    I have two triples now. They have so much more torque. I can do 90mph on my Sprint ST 1050 in 4th gear and not even notice it. I can start out in 6th gear too (don't ask how I know that or tell my hubby lol) on my Sprint. My Street Triple R is a 675. It is so much lighter than my Sprint that I can get some good revs for it.
    Silly boys, sportbikes are for girls...

2007 Yamaha FZ6 - Faster Blue one - sold, 2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050, 2014 Triumph Street Triple R

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnson View Post
    Also heard this difference between the inline 4s vs the V-twins when I was first looking at bikes. Just curious what are your thoughts on the tripples? Are they really the best of both worlds?

Well I've explored the mild-manndered side thus far and looking forward to experiencing the other side.
    The one major bummer (at least for me) is the compromise on engine/exhaust sound. In my opinion, the sound of a 600 inline 4 (especially with aftermarket pipes) is pure music to my ears compared to a triple or twin. Twin sounds like a yard tool any way you slice it. Triple is somewhat in the middle for sound but still nowhere near the amazing symphony of an inline 4.

And yes, you do compromise torque with an I-4 when compared to twins or triples. But the FZ6 is plenty fast for me!

Johnson (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Monica A View Post
    I have two triples now. They have so much more torque. I can do 90mph on my Sprint ST 1050 in 4th gear and not even notice it. I can start out in 6th gear too (don't ask how I know that or tell my hubby lol) on my Sprint. My Street Triple R is a 675. It is so much lighter than my Sprint that I can get some good revs for it.
    Thanks for sharing. Also curious what your thoughts on the FZ6 vs the ST3? I think I may grab one in the future.

Also don't see too many people from Reno here. Will be making my annual pilgrimage home in a few weeks.

Phantom Rider Riding above ~7K Andz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think I've ever taken mine over 9k on the street, I've seen top end twice and both times it was on a dyno.

I bought an MT-09 Tracer a few months ago and the grunt is great compared to the 600.

I'm 56, I don't know where that puts me in the age rankings

5. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never need more than 7k rpm when commuting. That being said it's really a good thing for me because when my right hand gets heavy on the throttle there is still another 7k rpm for me to use. Although I have never hit the redline and don't think I ever will. I love this bike, Does everything I need it to and more.

Since we are referencing age I'm only 26 but have been called an "old soul" lol planning on riding till I physically can't anymore and am glad to see older folks still riding.

It's all good! Riding above ~7K trepetti's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberside_Down View Post
    I never need more than 7k rpm when commuting. That being said it's really a good thing for me because when my right hand gets heavy on the throttle there is still another 7k rpm for me to use. Although I have never hit the redline and don't think I ever will. I love this bike, Does everything I need it to and more.

Since we are referencing age I'm only 26 but have been called an "old soul" lol planning on riding till I physically can't anymore and am glad to see older folks still riding.
    Replace 'older folks' with 'active seniors! Riding above ~7K

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    2005 FZ6 - FZ1 bar, Killernoodle clutch lever, Puig windscreen, Woodcraft sliders, BD43 headlight mod, Watsen LED signals, 2-Wheels levers, Givi tank bag and topcase, Galfer SS brake lines, LED pod lights, Motodynamic tail light, Grip Puppies

8. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I apologize! lol. Older folks.

10. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you meant "active seniors"

12. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've owned MANY bikes, singles, parallel twins, V-twins (HD and Honda VT1100's), inline 4's, flat 6 (Goldwing), but never a 3 cylinder.

With that said, when I bought this FZ, it was to replace my "beater", an 05 KLR250, 26,000 miles. I also had the wing and the FJR in the
    garage (yes, 3 bikes).

The FZ was bone stock, wrecked. I fixed all the damage (replaced a bunch of parts) aftermarket pipes, etc. I fell in love with the bike.
    Great mileage, tires last 2-3 times as long than the big bikes, and the power at the upper end of the RPM range...

Sold ALL the other bikes as I like this bike so much ( and don't cross country ride anymore). Much easier to maintain, comfortable, and will hold
    it's own should a supercharged Linginfelter Corvette "want to play".

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 11-27-2017 at 05:01 AM.
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

14. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well talk about embarrassing....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast