Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Riding above ~7K

Wide Open Throttle
    Lifelong student of motorcycling. Current bikes: Naked '05 FZ6, LS650 Café Racer, DRZ400 Street Tracker

2. Thanks Monica A thanked for this post
    Senior rider
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WOT = Wide Open Throttle. And I think you'll find that at WOT, above 7K rpms, you won't feel a whole lot of vibration - you'll simply be hanging on for dear life! At 3K or 4K around town, your bike is a 25 hp turtle. At 6K to 7K, your bike is making maybe 50 hp. But when you hit 10K or 11K rpms the beast begins to show itself. And at that point you'd better grab the pegs and bars and squeeze the tank, because that's where the real horsepower jumps out. Best not to be laid over when that happens, or things go sideways pretty fast. Don't ask me how I know that. And "gnyce", (sing along) "I don't wanna grow up, I'm a Toys 'r Us kid......."
    - - - Jim

Most problems can be solved with a suitable application of throttle.
    2007 FZ6 Faster Blue Killernoodle clutch mod; Motogiro headlight mod; Givi E21 hard bags; Sena SMH10 = awesome!

4. Likes Monica A liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Over a decade since it's introduction, the FZ6 is still quite a lot of motorcycle in an inexpensive package. The engine is the heart of the package making nearly 100 hp at 12,000 rpm and it's torque peek (~45) happening at 10,000 rpm. Clearly this engine needs to spin to make power. Given it's weight of 425/450 (dry/wet) this bike still holds its own when compared to the current crop of mid-displacement, standard street bikes.

The current trend in the mid-displacement category is towards twins (such as Yamaha's FZ07, Kawasaki 650, Honda CB650F) do to the "potential" for light weight (the FZ07 is light) and the low cost to manufacture. The twins make a lot less hp then the FZ6 (in the range of 65-80hp) and similar torque. However they occur at much lower rpms; in the 9,000 range for hp and 6,000 range for torque. The SV650 is a better handling bike and feels puny compared to the FZ6, but the FZ6 has a better ride and leaves the SV for dead at WOT - once the tach gets past 7,000 rpm.

Johnson, go ahead and experiment with higher rpms. But you might want to wait until spring for a full on blast given that your tires just aren't going to warm up to their full potential in 40 degree weather.

I prefer the the bi-polar personality of the FZ6, calm and mild-mannered below 7,000 rpms and flat-out angry above 10k. It's taken me a while to like this bike, but with proper suspension work and gel seat I have grown fond of this machine.
    Lifelong student of motorcycling. Current bikes: Naked '05 FZ6, LS650 Café Racer, DRZ400 Street Tracker

6. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a bit generous with the HP. More like 85-90 with after market pipes and low 40lbs of torque. MFG's like to bump up the numbers on most all bikes Still plenty to have some fun above 7K.

I replaced my FZ6 with a well tuned and opened up to breathe 08 FZ1 that dyno'd close to 140hp at the rear wheel. That was a quick bike but not nearly as much fun to ride as my 110hp KTM 990 Supermoto. Sometimes it's the bike more than the total hp.

Burning fossil fuel and loving it!!

8. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Johnson (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary in NJ View Post
    Over a decade since it's introduction, the FZ6 is still quite a lot of motorcycle in an inexpensive package. The engine is the heart of the package making nearly 100 hp at 12,000 rpm and it's torque peek (~45) happening at 10,000 rpm. Clearly this engine needs to spin to make power. Given it's weight of 425/450 (dry/wet) this bike still holds its own when compared to the current crop of mid-displacement, standard street bikes.

The current trend in the mid-displacement category is towards twins (such as Yamaha's FZ07, Kawasaki 650, Honda CB650F) do to the "potential" for light weight (the FZ07 is light) and the low cost to manufacture. The twins make a lot less hp then the FZ6 (in the range of 65-80hp) and similar torque. However they occur at much lower rpms; in the 9,000 range for hp and 6,000 range for torque. The SV650 is a better handling bike and feels puny compared to the FZ6, but the FZ6 has a better ride and leaves the SV for dead at WOT - once the tach gets past 7,000 rpm.

Johnson, go ahead and experiment with higher rpms. But you might want to wait until spring for a full on blast given that your tires just aren't going to warm up to their full potential in 40 degree weather.

I prefer the the bi-polar personality of the FZ6, calm and mild-mannered below 7,000 rpms and flat-out angry above 10k. It's taken me a while to like this bike, but with proper suspension work and gel seat I have grown fond of this machine.
    Looking forward to pushing it a bit. Other then waiting for spring any other rules I should know? I can do this in all gears?

Not sure why it took me so long, I guess just a creature of habit and that's how I learned to ride the bike. Better late then never I suppose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can ring it out in all gears but you better find a safe place to do it as you will be well above 100 mph.

Burning fossil fuel and loving it!!

11. Thanks Monica A thanked for this post
    Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Ride Like Your Invisible! Riding above ~7K kenh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnson View Post
    Looking forward to pushing it a bit. Other then waiting for spring any other rules I should know? I can do this in all gears?

Not sure why it took me so long, I guess just a creature of habit and that's how I learned to ride the bike. Better late then never I suppose.
    If you try to wring it out in all gears you will either get a ticket or spend your time riding trying to avoid the next obstacle. I would suggest given the proper environment accelerating out close to the redline in first gear. It will give you perspective of the engine performance and let you experience where the torque curve falls off and the engine is just experiencing winding out with no increase in performance. The art is to find the sweet spot where the acceleration can be experienced and appreciated as you move through the gears. Bottom line is to enjoy your riding experience, but be safe.

13. Thanks Johnson thanked for this post
    Likes TownsendsFJR1300, Johnson liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Other then waiting for spring any other rules I should know?
    Lean forward and grip the tank with your knees.

15. Likes Monica A, Motogiro liked this post
    Johnson (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary in NJ View Post

Also heard this difference between the inline 4s vs the V-twins when I was first looking at bikes. Just curious what are your thoughts on the tripples? Are they really the best of both worlds?

Well I've explored the mild-manndered side thus far and looking forward to experiencing the other side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also heard this difference between the inline 4s vs the V-twins when I was first looking at bikes. Just curious what are your thoughts on the tripples? Are they really the best of both worlds?.
    My next bike will be an FZ09. That's what I think of them.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast