Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    bigborer (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Error 33 breaking my bike abroad- urgent help please

Quote Originally Posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    Spark plug gap is a little wide but not bad..

How much pressure you putting on that chain pulling it away???

Unless your pulling super hard, it should NOT be that loose and will rattle up against the inner engine.

The pressure is probably a bit more than what would be needed to lift the chain off the ground if it were loose, so little to none. With super hard pressure it would have probably moved at least 4-5mm more.

Thanks for the tip! I'll do it tomorrow.

2. Likes TownsendsFJR1300, Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Great job, that chain is way too loose

Sounds like you (and Cliff) found the issue, definitely the chain and /or tensioner (likely both).

The tensioner is likely fully extended so your probably looking at replacing all the above.

Being your due for a valve check anyway, it can all be done at the same time, so that's good...

More $ but with regular maintenance and you'll get 50,000 miles out of the new chain/tensioner, etc...
    Good thing you caught it BEFORE it jumped a tooth and destroyed the engine...
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

4. Thanks bigborer, Motogiro thanked for this post
    Likes bigborer, darius liked this post
    bigborer (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, just ordered an APE manual tensioner on ebay, with some luck I'll get it till the end of this week. Hopefully it will at least buy me a few more weekends until taking it all apart L(

6. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a tip, when you pull the CCT make sure you keep pressure on the chain. It can jump a tooth on the cams otherwise, especially with a worn chain.

If that happens a piston can whack into a valve, not cheap to fix.
    Pete

If I can't fix it I'll fix it so no other bugger can

8. Thanks bigborer thanked for this post
    Likes Motogiro, bigborer liked this post
    Dislikes bigborer disliked this post
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gulfpete View Post
    Just a tip, when you pull the CCT make sure you keep pressure on the chain. It can jump a tooth on the cams otherwise, especially with a worn chain..

+1 ^^^.

The zip tie mentioned earlier works great for this.

Just put the tie around the front and rear runs, sung up, then change out the CCT..
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

10. Thanks bigborer, Motogiro thanked for this post
    Likes bigborer, Motogiro, jrevans liked this post
    bigborer (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The APE tensioner should (hopefully) arrive by tomorrow.

Can anyone tell me how could I lock the old tensioner in it's place? As I've seen on youtube, the moment it is free with no force against it it will jump to full extension, so then I'll have no way of knowing what it's previous level of extension was...

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigborer View Post
    The APE tensioner should (hopefully) arrive by tomorrow.

Can anyone tell me how could I lock the old tensioner in it's place? As I've seen on youtube, the moment it is free with no force against it it will jump to full extension, so then I'll have no way of knowing what it's previous level of extension was...
    When you simply loosen the two retaining bolts to the CCT, I suspect it's already fully extended and WON'T PUSH OUT AT ALL.

If it does push out some, you'll see how far (if any) the CCT was working / cam chain stretch.

On page 5-13 in the S2 SHOP MANUAL, it states how to re-install the tensioner: Basically, keep pressure on the tensioner and turn the screw clockwise to wind it in, about the same as below..

Below pic is my CCT (for my old 2005 KLR 250-super long chain). The chain was just replaced and the CCT was fully extended (just for picture taking), about 3/4".
    That particular engine, I could screw in the adjuster(under the nut) while pushing the tensioner in towards the block.

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-16-2017 at 07:03 PM.
    Scott

13. Thanks bigborer thanked for this post
    Likes bigborer liked this post
    bigborer (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, it makes sense

Looks like they are delaying my package for no reason for a few more days...

I do hope that your suspicion is not correct, and that there is still some life left in that cam chain

Just for the sake of argument, let's suppose that after replacing the chain/tensioner (which I'm aware are fully or partly done anyway), the noise is still there. What else could it be? The valves probably not, as the noise seems to go away after ~4000rpm or so, so what else? Oil pump? Clutch? Alternator?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The tensioner and chain do wear, some more than others.

I had 2 KLR 250's. One chain lasted 73,000 miles, the other, 28,000 miles before I got the noisy slop that just a CCT wouldn't take up.

My current FZ has 24,000 miles on it and the engine itself is super quiet... It was dogged it's first 4,500 miles before I got it.

Your description earlier of how loose the chain is with the stock CCT (especially if it's fully extended), the APE may take up the slack BUT that chain (again depending on what the stock CCT looks like) is still likely STRETCHED and will need replacement.

Stick with what you KNOW right now is worn. Once you pull the stock CCT, you'll know more.

Fully extended and no tension, that chain SHOULD be replaced, it's stretched.

*Much cheaper than the chain jumping a tooth and destroying the engine...
    Scott

16. Thanks bigborer thanked for this post
    Likes bigborer liked this post
    bigborer (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will do that, thanks for the input!

After all the reading I've done regarding these engines I got a bit paranoid, thinking what if the bike dies again (I'm aiming for 2 more one week trips round Europe til winter), and what if the engine suddenly seizes and makes me crash (plenty of videos of that on youtube). While being fully aware that such events have a low probability, and even lower without any previous symptoms (and that even new parts could have some microscopic cracks and suddenly fail), at lease for peace of mind I want to make sure I've done every possible check within reason. I won't strip everything apart and have it x-rayed for cracks (although... )) ), but at least I want to make sure I'm not skipping any basic checks.

Timeline of the work:

This week:
    -replace tensioner
    -check compression
    -inspect cylinder (if the endoscopic camera fits the spark plug hole)
    -check oil pressure
    -ride it, if OEM tensioner is not at full extension/chain is not totally gone

Next month:
    -check valve clearance (this is due regardless)
    -check camshaft journals and lobes
    -check camshaft caps for play
    -check sprockets
    -check the chain guides
    -replace/adjust whatever is necessary
    -check compression

GF says I'm getting (way too) crazy , and that my vehicles are already better kept/inspected that 99% of what is rolling on the streets. Perhaps it was better if I was like one of those guys who truly didn't give a ****/didn't know better and rode on 10y old tires, cracked brake hoses, changed the oil only when something went wrong, and when something really went wrong just patch it in whichever way was cheaper, sell it, buy another POS and repeat the cycle.

18. Likes TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast