Likes Likes:  88
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Error 33 breaking my bike abroad- urgent help please

If the fuel is bad, why wouldn't there be an ignition fault for the other 2 cylinders?
    Why wouldn't the dealership replace the plugs? "It's not urgent". Sounds like the dealership didn't want to provide actual service to you.

That said, I hope it really was the fuel and that the bike improves the more you run it now.
    Perhaps try to fuel up in the towns and avoid the rural pumps, go for the higher grade options.

2. Thanks TownsendsFJR1300, Motogiro, bigborer thanked for this post
    Likes bigborer liked this post
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Did you manipulate the RED kill switch when it started acting up?

Take it easy going home and "Keep an out" always, should the bike die suddenly...
    Scott

2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(open), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Garmin 590 GPS, Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

4. Thanks bigborer thanked for this post
    Vrrroooooom! Error 33 breaking my bike abroad- urgent help please Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Re: Error 33 breaking my bike abroad- urgent help please

I don't understand why faulty fuel would cause the ECU to throw a 33 code for primary coil winding failure.?????
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

6. Thanks bigborer thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Motogiro View Post
    I don't understand why faulty fuel would cause the ECU to throw a 33 code for primary coil winding failure.?????
    The second guy said it was the spark plugs(it ain't)...

Might be the directional fluid is low...

Till someone lifts the tank, accesses the coils, and ACTUALLY tests them, we won't know anything..
    Scott

2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(open), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Garmin 590 GPS, Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

8. Thanks Motogiro, bigborer thanked for this post
    Likes Ohendo, bigborer liked this post
    bigborer (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, bike made it till 500km from home.

Right now it's in a state of "definitely ****ed" as it is starting with error 33 and not going away no matter how long it cools off or what I do to it. Even worse, the error is not even getting listed in the diagnostics mode any more so ecu damage is very likely (root cause-who knows)

Still waiting for some quotations, but unless I'm lucky to find an existing shipment trip with free cargo space, getting someone here for me alone will cost about 50% of what I paid for the bike as they will charge for a 2 way trip + all the road tolls.

It is what it is...

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

No Yamaha dealers around?
    Scott

11. Thanks bigborer thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What happens when you try to fire it up?
    Check for possible low battery voltage- could have died due to limping along in low RPMs

Where are you now?
    Post for help on national/regional bike forum
    Leave at a reputable bike shop/dealership, return with trailer later

13. Thanks bigborer thanked for this post
    Likes Motogiro, bigborer liked this post
    Vrrroooooom! Error 33 breaking my bike abroad- urgent help please Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigborer View Post
    So, bike made it till 500km from home.

Right now it's in a state of "definitely ****ed" as it is starting with error 33 and not going away no matter how long it cools off or what I do to it. Even worse, the error is not even getting listed in the diagnostics mode any more so ecu damage is very likely (root cause-who knows)

Still waiting for some quotations, but unless I'm lucky to find an existing shipment trip with free cargo space, getting someone here for me alone will cost about 50% of what I paid for the bike as they will charge for a 2 way trip + all the road tolls.

It is what it is...
    There is the possibility that there was a breakdown in the internal insulation in the coil that got to the point where the secondary high voltage arced over the the primary winding and toasted the coil firing transistor and more in the ECU..

You need to have an experienced technician diagnose and repair your bike. Unfortunately that's hard to tell today.......
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

15. Thanks bigborer thanked for this post
    bigborer (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    No Yamaha dealers around?
    Not really
    Quote Originally Posted by darius View Post
    What happens when you try to fire it up?
    Check for possible low battery voltage- could have died due to limping along in low RPMs

Where are you now?
    Post for help on national/regional bike forum
    Leave at a reputable bike shop/dealership, return with trailer later
    It will start and run, but in 2 cylinders. I am in Bulgaria near the border with Greece. The nearest big town is Plovdiv, about 140km away. Getting it towed to there is a big gamble, as though I got the contacts for an allegedly reputable service from a bulgarian guy, the risk of getting there only to find a wrench monkey shrugging shoulders and saying "I don t know" in poor english is quite high.
    Quote Originally Posted by Motogiro View Post
    There is the possibility that there was a breakdown in the internal insulation in the coil that got to the point where the secondary high voltage arced over the the primary winding and toasted the coil firing transistor and more in the ECU..

You need to have an experienced technician diagnose and repair your bike. Unfortunately that's hard to tell today.......
    The "experienced technician" is rarer than a 5m pink unicorn. Apart from swapping parts no one knows ****.

When it really messed up and got to the point where the error wasn t even getting stored I was at about 8000rpm. Before that, it acted up at lower rpm and even at idle once, while paying a road toll. I had learned to "know it", before the error was starting I had a 1-2 second warning time, if I was paying attention, and it felt like a little stutter. After a little throttle correction of +-100rpm it got to a rpm where it was happier.

bigborer (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today I finally managed to take it apart, what happened in this order:

-found one ignition coil connector very loose
    -removed the battery
    -found traces (markings, worn screw heads) that someone has already taken out the air box, battery, coils - not so great
    -found some oxidation on one side of the ecu connector (later confirmed it was on the same side as the pins to the coils), sprayed some contact cleaner and scraped clean all affected pins
    -turned the key to on, still 33 showing, then entered diagnostics mode, 60=00, 61=00, 62=1 and impossible to erase
    -removed battery, switched the wiring between the coils, turned it to on, still showing 33
    -put the wiring on the coils correctly, tried to fire it up but it did as if the battery was dead (and it measured 12,73V, not sure about bike batteries but on a car that would be ~75% charged)
    -took the battery inside and put in on the charger
    -took out leads, noticed the cap was a bit loose on the lead wire for cyl no1, and part of the rubber end of the cap was ripped off, cap body had scratches on the sides (WTF?)
    -measured the resistances for both coils, and caps, both gave almost identical readings and were in spec (~1ohm and ~15,5 kohm)
    -checked the resistance for both wired going from the ecu plug to the coils, all ok
    -checked the ignition fuse, 0 resistance
    -tried to remove the plugs but my tools didn't fit

After I manage to find a tool for the spark plugs to check them as well, if I put everything back together and it still won't work.... don't think anything else could be wrong apart from the ecu

18. Thanks darius thanked for this post

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast