Likes Likes:  137
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Error 33 breaking my bike abroad- urgent help please

Yep, I read you got a new guide... Real important, lots of tension on that guide..

Agreed, sounds like some crap got in there (when possible apart) at one time... There's not much you do with the head with no separate / independent bearings.

Dunno what the plastic gauge spec's are on the cams-wouldn't hurt to check..

Just smooth things down, just enough, you should be ok..

Certainly doesn't look bad enough to replace the head and camshaft..
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

bigborer (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the most scratched journals it plastigauged at 0.055-0.06, with the upper limit being at 0.08.

I've also ordered the cheapest brand name mineral oil I could find (repsol moto rider 10w40), as everywhere I've read suggested that anything better than 100% mineral makes it too smooth for proper rings sealing. For the break in, I'm planning the 1st oil change at around 50kms, and the second at 4-500.

PSartzilla just emailed me, they'll ship the parts on Friday, so they should clear the customs and get to me by mid Feb. Dunno how tight time will be, esp with a 1 week work trip already set, but hopefully this engine will all be in 1 piece by 1st of March. Then, if the weather allows, I'll put it back on the bike.
    2004 FZ6 with R6 Fork and brakes, Leo Vince SBK Carbon Exhaust, Venhill SS Race brake lines

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sounds great!!!

IME, do lots of heat cycles initially... And obviously, various RPM's

Years ago, (2004), I did a semi "moto-man" break in procedure on my FJR (just shy of red line when new), plus many heat cycles. Changed the oil at 50 miles (bunch of silver crap came out) and again at 500 miles (very little if any metal). Then normal oil changes..

Worked great, never had any oiling/burning issues and would do it again on a new bike..

Just my 2ct's, something to consider..
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 01-25-2018 at 04:19 AM.
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

4. Likes bigborer liked this post
    bigborer (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know about the motoman break in procedure, however due to traffic (I live quite close to the city center) and cold asphalt (it will likely be 12-15 Celsius) I might not be able to load it that much- though the fz6 is not a turbo 'busa, it still gets to 100kmh in 1st gear.

Also, to aid the ring setting I'll "deglaze" the cylinders with a scotch-brite pad, manually following the original cross hatching marks.
    If all goes well, this engine should probably last at least 100k more kms .

Quick to do list for myself:
    -polish exhaust cam journals
    -strip, mask, prime and paint the engine case- for better results I'm thinking of doing that with the engine case parted (hopefully GF will quickly get over me doing all that inside the house ) )
    -plastigauge all new plain bearings
    -perfectly clean the work area, all parts and reassemble
    -contact spray all connectors
    -put the engine back in
    -put the radiator, coolant, engine oil, connectors and exhaust
    2004 FZ6 with R6 Fork and brakes, Leo Vince SBK Carbon Exhaust, Venhill SS Race brake lines

bigborer (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had some delays- first it was the returning winter, then some other issues, then the easter break. Now I've finally made some progress- the engine is almost fully stripped, by tomorrow I should get it fully masked, and should it not rain I'm hoping to at least prime it by the end of Sunday.

Can't wait to get it properly running again! Took off the covers for "inspection" today, and to my embarrassment (GF and dog had to witness that), I couldn't help pretend riding the engineless bike today. Even made acceleration sounds . Gutted of engine and all attached parts, the saddle felt like an enduro bike, at least 6cm higher than stock

7. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I re-read part of this thread.

Post #39 shows a pic of the cam chain. I did not see the FRONT GUIDE, just the rear guide the CCT pushes on.

There is a cam chain front guide in there correct??

Also, it looked rusty INSIDE, just beyond the chain, ??
    Scott

9. Thanks bigborer thanked for this post
    Likes bigborer liked this post
    bigborer (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a better picture. All 3 CCT guides are present.

The plate behind it is bare metal and though it is a bit oxidized, the rusty appearance was because of a thin (removed it with a rag) layer of engine smudge and RED engine oil (motul 7100).

Should anyone got any opinions of anything regarding this engine, please say now, BEFORE I put it all back together
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Error 33 breaking my bike abroad- urgent help please-20170729_152734-copy-jpg  

11. Thanks TownsendsFJR1300 thanked for this post
    Likes TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post
    bigborer (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just finished the manual deglazing/light honing with the red scotchbrite pad, following the OEM honing. There were some very light pitting that went away after a few passes, but the worst is a line in cylinder 4 - can't even tell if it's scoring or excess material. If I'm very careful I can feel it with a fingernail, and it fells probably 30% of a "medium" scratch from the screen of my phone.

There's no way I'm throwing away the whole block for this, but how bad do you think it is?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Error 33 breaking my bike abroad- urgent help please-photo_2018-04-19_00-50-34-jpg  

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A real honing tool is not that expensive... It's also MORE ACCURATE than "scotch brighting" by hand.

I'd get the correct tool, with the correct stone.

Before running the tool down the bore, I'd probably pull at least the top compression ring off that piston, insert in the cylinder and measure how tight or loose that cylinder is. That'll give you some idea how much you can hone.

For all that you have invested in that engine, and the initial issue, I doubt that cylinder imperfection is a deal killer... It's not like you dropped a valve in the cylinder and that bounced around tearing up the insides.

BTW, enlarging the pic, it doesn't look bad.

Also, with the piston ring in the bore, can you check to see IF you CAN SEE LIGHT BETWEEN THE BLOCK AND RING (in that area).
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-18-2018 at 05:14 PM.
    Scott

14. Thanks bigborer thanked for this post
    Likes bigborer liked this post
    bigborer (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reason for not using a honing tool was mainly because I was afraid I'd take off too much nikasil, unnecessarily. The OEM honing marks were all intact, so mainly I was hoping to achieve some deglazing.

Also, I don't know what is the proper tool for that. All I could find was debate ranging from "one should NEVER rehone nikasil" to "nikasil is extremely hard and never loses honing" to "just use whatever".

I will check for any possible cylinder-ring light gaps tomorrow, using the old rings (wouldn't want to mess up the new ones by fiddling with them).

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast