Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    bigborer (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Error 33 breaking my bike abroad- urgent help please

Here is what remained after filtering the oil through the paper coffee filter- some black, maybe plastic particles, and some silver and golden metal particles. I've also gutted the oil filter and it looked very similar. The oil had about 1500km.
    I've never inspected the insides of an oil filter, so I don't know it that is normal or not.

Next things I'll remove and check:
    -clutch
    -oil pan
    -engine head

Hopefully it will be able to check for any unusual play at the piston rods from down under, where oil pan is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Error 33 breaking my bike abroad- urgent help please-oil_filter-jpg  
    2004 FZ6 with R6 Fork and brakes, Leo Vince SBK Carbon Exhaust, Venhill SS Race brake lines

2. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That right there is NOT normal or good.. And that's NOT what the oil filter caught.

A lot, but what I'd expect from a loose cam chain sawing away at an aluminum case.. Metal vs aluminum (at 2K-14k RPM's)

The black stuff is likely the rear guide as it wore away.

It's good your pulling that pan, that needs to be out of there... If you can get to a lower rod bearing, you may want to peek and look
    for any scoring..

Before buttoning up the lower end,(when you get that far), I'd spray the snot out of the bottom
    of the engine with brake cleaner to flush out as much of those particles you can...
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

4. Thanks bigborer thanked for this post
    Likes Motogiro, darius, bigborer liked this post
    2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone FinalImpact's Avatar
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Not trying to rock the boat but we have very different opinions. Or maybe I've seen much worse???

The guide material laying in the pan is not wonderful but potentially there on every oil change if all of us filtered our oil. Beings it sank to the pans bottom and was out of circulation, pretty harmless. Being plastic vs aluminum or copper/steel the later wears the pump and engine while the guide material is not taking life from the reciprocating components....

I'm just saying, still no smoking gun pointing to a failure.

Is any of the material from either filter magnetic? If so and it is of such fine material that it looks grey, that is of concern. A few flecks of guide not a show stopper.

The first oil change on the FZ as a second owner I opened the filter (its second filter ever) just to gauge up engine health. IIRC it was pretty clean for break in filter at 4,400 mi.

I'm still of the mindset to assemble it, add oil to all cylinders and fire it off. Does it repeat the noise?

I think you could gut the engine and have to look real close to find this. What happened with internal camera???
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

6. Thanks bigborer thanked for this post
    Likes Motogiro, bigborer liked this post
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

As noted, IMO, there shouldn't be any of that in there. My old FJR, for break in had a bunch of very fine silvery particles at the first oil change.

I've been using, since 2009 (when I got the FZ), a K&N SS, CLEANABLE oil filter: Technical Information | K and P Engineering

It's checked (and cleaned) every time the oil is changed. And there is NO metal particles from hacking up the filter. I know the
    internals are healthy on this engine.

In 21,000 miles I haven't accumulated anything visible from the oil filter or old oil.

That oil remains, pictured above, is 10x worse than my FJR was and no black stuff..

Whether its the cam chain or something else, dunno but the chain is worn.

Keep tearing down and do the "engine alone running test", it may in-deed show something..

The failure/ noise, from the initial ignition failure should not have caused internal damage
    as described. Reading/looking thru a computer screen, the chain does wear out.

Anyway, keep on digging.. Hope something definite is found..
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

8. Thanks bigborer thanked for this post
    Likes bigborer liked this post
    2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone FinalImpact's Avatar
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

On another forum a guy used this $13 usb camera to snake down the intake and into an open intake valve on his cage. We don't have enough valve lift for that but it may have other uses....

Its on Amazoo....
    USB Boroscope
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

10. Thanks bigborer thanked for this post
    bigborer (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today I took out the oil pan. It was fine, apart from some more particles like the ones caught by the coffee filter.
    Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to do much checking in that area, as it got about to start raining, but I'll do some more checking tomorrow.

Next step: take off engine head.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Error 33 breaking my bike abroad- urgent help please-photo_2017-08-07_02-27-35-jpg  
    2004 FZ6 with R6 Fork and brakes, Leo Vince SBK Carbon Exhaust, Venhill SS Race brake lines

bigborer (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FinalImpact View Post
    On another forum a guy used this $13 usb camera to snake down the intake and into an open intake valve on his cage. We don't have enough valve lift for that but it may have other uses....

Its on Amazoo....
    USB Boroscope
    I already have something very similar but it's too big to fit in the 600cc engine. The most interesting "other uses" for it was using it for visual aid in tying a bicycle brake wire around a knife that got stuck inside a kitchen drawer blocking it shut, using 2 tools I'd made from a wire clothes hanger, and operating from a 3cm wide slot. Took about 2 hours, and made me question my career choices, as it proved I could have been a good laparoscopic surgeon ) .

13. Likes FinalImpact liked this post
    bigborer (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I managed to find a guy with another FZ6, who was kind to let me listen, film and test ride his bike (unless I filmed with my phone, it would have been useless).

His bike (yes, CCT rattle but no grinding noise): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4dF0K_Sh2s
    My bike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1DIpp6eAPw

Finally some proof that I'm not crazy )

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So what happened with this???
    Scott

16. Thanks bigborer thanked for this post
    Junior Member Error 33 breaking my bike abroad- urgent help please
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    So what happened with this???
    I felt a plot twist would be nice :

Plot twist: bike worked, drove it, crashed it

Other plot twist: Sold off the bike in pieces to that fz6 owner who's bike he test ride just now and is currently on his way to buying another fz and just wants to surprise us with the pictures of the new ride?

Post scrip:
    Hi 👋. I'm new here, just bought a black 08 fz6 after owning one for 40k miles from brand new but never had to use this forum.. so now I come here stumble upon this treasure trove of how to take apart and put your fz back together: complete edition with how to diagnosis a fz panphlet- , read all 11 pages and see your comment here at the end. I feel your pain! I want to know even more than you! Heck I can't believe you've waited this long for a response! Haha

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast