Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dannyrose1 (OP)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rusty handle bar under throttle :/

Hey guys! So my throttle felt a bit stiff upon return and almost gritty when twisted, so i had a little look took the bar ends off took the throttle housing off and wow a orange pitted rusty handle bar!! I realise i ride all year round and i keep it outside but covered so corrosion and rust is inevitable... So has anyone experienced this?

What i did was took 1000grit sandpaper and cleaned the whole area up cleaned it all up with wd40 greased it up and put it all back together smooth as silk now
    I know it will rust again at one point i will check it when i next lube the throttle cables
    May put a latex glove over the throttle when i put the bike away at night!

Stupud british weather been the wettest winter 200 odd years.... Screw you golf stream go home!

Peace!!!

2. Thanks Erci, motojoe122 thanked for this post
    Howie Mandel's evil twin rusty handle bar under throttle :/ Erci's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Re: rusty handle bar under throttle :/

Yup, it's pretty much inevitable if your bar is steel and you ride / park in rain.

Light sanding it a good way to go.

Here's the thing though: rust shouldn't affect throttle operation. It's a "plastic on plastic" assembly. The plastic bit which sits on bar doesn't move. Shouldn't matter if there's rust under it, in terms of smoothness. You must've had some dirt/grit built up elsewhere.

4. Thanks FinalImpact, motojoe122 thanked for this post
    2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone FinalImpact's Avatar
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Not sure if I read that proper ^^; the FZ6 runs the throttle tube right on the bar. The light surface rust is near inevitable and usually goes unnoticed. But heavy rust flakes could indeed cause binding. I'd opt for silicone based product as it should resist the moisture better. Not sure it has any rust fighting capabilities tho.

08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

6. Thanks Erci thanked for this post
    Howie Mandel's evil twin rusty handle bar under throttle :/ Erci's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My bad.. the plastic tube does indeed spin on the bar

I think my wife spiked my breakfast!

8. Thanks FinalImpact thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Now that you have it clean, IMO, get some Marine, waterproof grease (Yamaha marine makes some GREAT STUFF).

Put just enough to protect the bare steel.

BTW, I use that grease on my drive shaft on the outboard engine in salt water.

Its designed to protect bare steel in extreme salt water conditions. A regular sized tub is under $10.00 (US)

Regular wheel bearing grease does NOT come close to performing as well...I tried using it on the drive shaft (mid-section drive shaft / shaft bushing and within 6 months, that grease went away and started squeeking. The Yamaha stuff will easily last two years under extreme conditions... You can use it on other levers/joints as well.
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-03-2015 at 02:02 PM.

Dannyrose1 (OP)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers guys for the heads up on the marine grease
    I only had a bit of moly lube lying around seems to have done the job for now. Ill keep an eye on it, damn rain
    I guess what i felt was bits of gritty rust rubbing around
    The picture is after i gave it a light sanding btw
    Very cool how there is two throttle cables!

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyrose1 View Post
    Cheers guys for the heads up on the marine grease
    I only had a bit of moly lube lying around seems to have done the job for now. Ill keep an eye on it, damn rain
    I guess what i felt was bits of gritty rust rubbing around
    The picture is after i gave it a light sanding btw
    Very cool how there is two throttle cables!
    One is a throttle return cable should the "Pull" cable get stuck open.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm trying to improve my throttle stiffness as I've recently noticed my right hand is getting exhausted during a ride because I'm holding the grip tighter in order to achieve the same throttle input as before.

1. The throttle free-play is correct.
    2. Cleaning/lubing the throttle grip is next on my list as sometimes I can hear a squeaking sound as I turn the throttle.
    3. Checking that the throttle cables are not over-tight; I had not thought about before but will do asap.
    4. Inspecting throttle body; I'll scan this part if the above don't bring improvements. But when I serviced and cleaned the air filter few months ago at least it was clean.

So what kinda task is the disassembly of the throttle grip. I noticed that the allen screw at the end of the bar is perhaps a 4.5mm? Don't have that size in my tools.
    Also by disassembling the switch assembly I assume you get a shot at lubing the cables from the top?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's an easy thing to pull apart. There are two fittings in the bar weights, use the larger one (8mm I think).

It sounds like you need to lube the throttle cables. They can be a little fussy to get loose, but loosen up the adjusters as much as possible and you should manage.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clean the inside of the throttle tube as well as the handlebar, even a seemingly small spec of dirt can cause issues.

Not sure about lubing it though, I assume dirt will stick easier on the lube - maybe someone with more experience will chime in?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast