• I'll wait for them to wave first

62 35.43%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Do you wave at Harley riders?

I usually wave to Harley riders, but I won't wave to scooter riders. My wife just picked up a sportster, so I'll have to take that out and see who waves to me.

Super Member Do you wave at Harley riders? Jblk9695's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wave at everybody, don't care what they are riding and if the don't wave back it's there loss. I give the 3 fingered wave with my arm up to tell them I'm riding a triple, well I know what it means. Just out having fun so why not wave

Jerry
    Everyone is FAST in a STRAIGHT LINE
    OLD Hooligan

Arrest that HOON at once, they are having TOO MUCH FUN!!!!

3. Thanks Motogiro, mxgolf, Lefty, motojoe122, Tailgate, sandctrev thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Erci View Post
    Does it really matter if they *wave* back or not? Putting your hand out and towards the ground is a way of saying you recognize another rider. A fellow 2-wheel enthusiast. Don't even look at them to see if you get the *wave* back.. concentrate on the road.

I couldn't care less what sort of motorcycle the oncoming rider is on and if he waves back or not. I always put my hand out, if it's safe to do so.

P.S. there's no waving in Europe (unless things have changed in the last 10 years). Motorcyclist worry about riding, not collecting waves.
    There actually is waving in Europe, at least in Belgium and France...

We even have a foot wave for cars that hold their right to let you overtake.

5. Thanks Erci, mxgolf thanked for this post
    Ride Like Your Invisible! Do you wave at Harley riders? kenh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jblk9695 View Post
    I wave at everybody, don't care what they are riding and if the don't wave back it's there loss. I give the 3 fingered wave with my arm up to tell them I'm riding a triple, well I know what it means. Just out having fun so why not wave

Jerry
    Jerry, I could see your gesture getting more attention back in the old single cylinder days... But I am in agreement, I wave to everybody even if they do not wave back. The wave is a simple way to acknowledge other riders out there enjoying their passion.
    I witnessed a situation a couple of months ago where I was waiting to pull out into traffic in my work van when the light turned green. In the line of vehicles waiting was a couple of cars, an older Harley rider and a middle aged guy on an older single cylinder motorcycle. When the light turned green the Harley started off and I pulled out behind the middle aged guy and noticed he was having trouble riding and almost hit a curb. I am not sure if it was skill level or mechanical trouble, but I suspect the former. When I cleared the intersection I thought about stopping, but noticed the Harley rider ahead must of been watching too and had pulled over to circle back to check on the middle aged guy and I thought this is what the wave gesture means. It is that bond that is forged by all who ride, regardless of what they are riding.
    P.S. I even wave to scooters, it tends to catch them offguard sometimes.

7. Thanks Erci, Jblk9695, Lefty, motojoe122 thanked for this post
    Motoup Do you wave at Harley riders? mxgolf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually wave to every rider. I used to not wave to scooters but now days they make some big scooters it's hard to tell at speed. It's probably 50-50 Harley riders waving back to me anyway.
    Puig Dark Smoked Wind Shield - Yamaha Lower Cowling - Top Saddlery Seat - Spiegler Breaded Break Lines - PIAA Dual Sport Horns - K & N Air Filter - Motivation Sliders - FZ1 Handle Bars - Pazzo Shorty Levers - Fazr6 Fender Eliminator - BD43 Headlight Mod - 15 Tooth Front Sprocket - Ohlin Rear Shock & Front Springs - Leo Vince Titanium - Killer Noodle Clutch Mod - G2 Throttle Tamer - Throttle Meister - Healtech Gear Indicator & Speedo Healer - LED Turn Signals & Tail Light *****

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Check out the story in the latest issue of Motorcycle Consumer News (good rag) by Fred Rau on waving. Pretty entertaining and he has some pretty stringent rules when it comes to waving like do you wave at all the bikes when a procession of them rides by?

I wave to everyone even the bicyclists and the kids in the back of mom's mini-van. She may hear them giggle and keep a better eye out for me! If they don't wave back, their loss not mine. I always think real bikers wave

The other side is that it takes two hands to handle a Harley <JK>
    Mike
    WERA, FASTTRAX\MotoSeries, AHRMA EX#242, MSF Rider Coach, SportbikeTrackTime Instructor

10. Thanks JKJ-FZ6 thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have noticed the the likeliness of another rider waving to you is directly related to how much gear they are wearing.

Squids in shorts and Harley riders wearing sleeveless T-shirts almost never wave.

Hell, if my skin was exposed I wouldn't want to take my hand off the bars either!
    Put my bike out on the highway
    feel that wind all in my face
    breathe some air that tastes like freedom
    let that be my saving grace
    I believe it's time for me to ride...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't throw a wave for the purpose of getting one back. I throw a wave to acknowledge a person with a common bond through motorcycling. If I see them in time and it's safe to do so, I wave at every motorcycle I pass.

Fireball Do you wave at Harley riders? Water Bear's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MG-242 View Post
    Check out the story in the latest issue of Motorcycle Consumer News (good rag) by Fred Rau on waving. Pretty entertaining and he has some pretty stringent rules when it comes to waving like do you wave at all the bikes when a procession of them rides by?
    As a matter of fact I often do, but I wonder if they're like, 'why the heck is he still waving? We saw it already.'

Not sure what the best idea here is. Probably better to wave as the front of the line passes.

Quis, mihi fatigo? Do you wave at Harley riders? Lefty's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

True story..
    Took a four day ride with Cali rider last month through NorCal. We both waved at everyone at the beginning of everyday. I kept a somewhat accurate count as to who/what they were riding waved back. Harley riders were too cool to acknowledge our waves about 90% of the time, other riders, including scooters responded with a wave around 80% of the time.
    “You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”
    ― Mae West

15. Thanks Circle, Tailgate, TownsendsFJR1300 thanked for this post

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast