Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jsalman93 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where can i buy a clutch cable?

I've got a 2006 Fz6 and am wondering where I can find a new clutch cable. I've checked Cycle Gear, parts411.com, and various other websites. I've never changed a clutch cable (as one has never gone out on me), but my cable is way too stiff and stretched out. I'm not really liking the idea of going to a dealership because i feel like they will overcharge me through the roof, but i dont know where to look.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Where can i buy a clutch cable?

I bought mine from my local Yamaha dealer. I think I paid $23. Your results may vary.
    Puig Dark Smoke Double-Bubble Racing screen, Grip Puppies.

Riding is the closest thing to flying without leaving the ground.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Babbits is pretty good: Arctic Cat, Honda, Kawasaki, Polaris, Suzuki, Yamaha Parts Dealer Muskegon, MI

as is Bike Bandit: Motorcycle Parts, Motorcycle Accessories by BikeBandit.com

It'll give you an idea of the price however shipping may make it cheaper to go to your local guy... IMHO, I'd stick with an OEM cable..

Be prepared to pull your air filter plastic assembly, the middle of the cable is attached to the frame in the middle with a plastic retainer. Kind of a PIA.

I removed that mid cable holder, no problems with it gone and I can now pull the cable out fully without touching the tank, air box, etc.. (Been off about two years now.)

I suspect it was easier Yamaha when assembling the bike to have the retainer there..

BTW, there is a mid cable adjuster (by the retainer clip) where you can adjust out another 1/2" or so of inner cable use. Lubing the cable, unless its frayed, should make it like new.
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-04-2012 at 06:51 AM.
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

4. Thanks pookamatic, chunkygoat, jsalman93 thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 on bike bandit

I just bought new sprockets from bike bandit. If you go on google and type in "Bike Bandit Promo Codes" - you can get 20% off or free shipping - or discounts of OEM parts.

+ they are doing a promo that knocked 15$ off my order as is. All in all I think I paid 71$ for a rear sprocket, front sprocket, and shifter lever cover. The local dealer wanted to charge 121$ for both sprockets + a 1 week wait for them to order it. They also wanted to charge me 27$ for the lever cover where bike bandit charged $3.87 for it.

They have a real cool setup at BB and prices are decent - 5 days it took from California to Pennsylvania.

Bike bandit has my recommendation for sure.
    Mods: Scorpion Exhaust slip-ons, Painted windscreen, 520 conversion, Pro Series x2 DID Gold Chain, 16T FS, 47T RS, Custom camera/GPS Mount, T-Rex Sliders, Bridgestone BT-023s, Custom fender eliminator w/ bolt lamps, Custom incandescent turn signals, Pro Grip Tank Pad, Decals, Home Brew custom RGB LED kit

6. Thanks TownsendsFJR1300, jsalman93 thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

boats.net has the best prices on OEM parts that I have found online.
    2005 FZ6 (40K miles): Morimoto bi-xenon projectors, HEL SS brake lines, Racetech .90 springs, Cut-down Puig windscreen, FZ1 handlebar, 17T front sprocket, heated grips, custom bar ends, 2Wheels levers, Rizoma turn signals, fender eliminator, drilled exhaust, All Balls tapered steering head bearings, frame sliders, K&N Air Filter.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

jsalman93 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all of the advice. Honestly, i had never even thought of babbits, mainly because i thought they only sold major parts of the bike and not so much accessories. It turns out they even sell clutch plates too.
    I had no idea about the middle adjusting section, that explains why i was staring at the end of the cable wondering where it was. I'll try lubing the whole thing today and let you know how it goes. would it be okay to use WD-40 on the cable, it's oem and ive heard that you can't use WD-40 on anything with teflon in it, but i'm pretty sure that the cable is just steel.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jsalman93 View Post
    Thanks for all of the advice. Honestly, i had never even thought of babbits, mainly because i thought they only sold major parts of the bike and not so much accessories. It turns out they even sell clutch plates too.
    I had no idea about the middle adjusting section, that explains why i was staring at the end of the cable wondering where it was. I'll try lubing the whole thing today and let you know how it goes. would it be okay to use WD-40 on the cable, it's oem and ive heard that you can't use WD-40 on anything with teflon in it, but i'm pretty sure that the cable is just steel.
    Yes, Babbits sells OEM stuff.

And as stated earlier, you'll get about 1/2" more cable after you adjust that mid cable adjuster out...

IMHO, I would NOT use WD40 on the cable, maybe to blow crap out but not as a final lubricant... I use a pressure tool that pressurizes the cable. I have cable lube but found chain lube with graphite seems to be working very well and lasting longer than cable lube.

The manual calls for regular motor oil as a lubricant or cable specific lube. You can either squirt some down the sheath and keep moving it in and out or tape a small funnel around the top of the cable, fill it with oil and let it run thru overnight.

To adjust the mid cable adjuster, your going to have to remove the air box to get to it. There is a plastic retainer that attaches it to the left frame. I removed that plastic retainer years ago and have much easier access to that adjuster/pulling the cable etc without removing anything...

BTW, place a piece of paper towel under the clutch cable where it curves at the bottom as oil WILL COME OUT and make a mess for awhile. The PT will catch any extra. I thought I had an oil leak until I figured that trick out. You can ride with that PT in there, it doesn't get hot enough to ignite, I've ridden for days with it in there...
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-04-2012 at 04:29 PM.
    Scott

jsalman93 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright that's really helpful. I'll check the ingredients for my chain lube and see if that would be useful, mainly because it comes with one of those straws that would make it a bit easier. If it doesnt have any graphite in it then I'll use some engine oil.

I'll get to the middle adjuster tomorrow and let you know how it goes, ill try to post pics too.

thanks again, sorry for the noob questions but i haven't gone over the whole service manual yet and this bike's maintenance is still a bit new to me. Very different from the shadow that I had before, things are a lot more tucked away on the fz6. Love the bike though

Junior Member Where can i buy a clutch cable? Gelvatron's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look up clutch lube there is a guy on the forum for 10 $ sells three syringes with a head that has the straw built in to lube throttle and clutch cables just did it this weekend clutch feels half as light and twice as smooth a few days later

13. Thanks agf thanked for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast