Header
Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum

Home Gallery Forum Classified Ads Chat Links Reviews Memberships Games Site Info Shop

Go Back   Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum > FZ6 Related Discussion > FZ6 General Discussion

FZ6 General Discussion Everything Else

Old 05-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #1
Live4him

Bike: 2006 Yamaha FZ6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Live4him is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Valve Adjustment

The dealership says i need a valve adjustment, but there saying 300 dollars, is there a way to do it myself, or should i just let them do it?
Live4him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
DefyInertia
Former '04 FZ6 Rider

Bike: '08 Aprilia Tuono 1000 R
Thanked 2,281 Times in 965 Posts
DefyInertia has a reputation beyond reputeDefyInertia has a reputation beyond reputeDefyInertia has a reputation beyond reputeDefyInertia has a reputation beyond reputeDefyInertia has a reputation beyond reputeDefyInertia has a reputation beyond reputeDefyInertia has a reputation beyond reputeDefyInertia has a reputation beyond reputeDefyInertia has a reputation beyond reputeDefyInertia has a reputation beyond reputeDefyInertia has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Re: Valve Adjustment

You mean they need to CHECK the valves to see IF they need to be adjusted?

Do you agree with what they are telling you? What is the mileage of your bike and when were the valves last CHECKED?

People do this on there own without paying a dealership, yes. Whether you can do it is another story.

My YouTube Videos My Rider Resume
DefyInertia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
Live4him

Bike: 2006 Yamaha FZ6
Live4him is on a distinguished road

17,198 on mileage

The tech heard a tapping in my top-end said it the valves

I do not know the last time they were checked
Live4him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:30 PM   #4
Shamus McFeeley

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

The inspection window is (around) every 26,000 miles.

Yes, it is possible to do it yourself. You need to be halfway decent with a wrench and math. If you do the job yourself it will take about 2 - 2 1/2 hours by yourself the first time to disassemble and measure the clearances. Add another hour onto that if you need to change out one or more of the shims. If you're lucky, all of your clearances will be in spec and you won't have to change anything out. The biggest part of this job is patience and attention to detail. Take it slow, don't rush it.

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY AT THE DEALER. For the sake of your engine, and your wallet.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:35 PM   #5
VEGASRIDER
MSF Safety Instructor

Bike: 2006 Blue FZ6, 2000 XT 225
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanked 5,577 Times in 2,018 Posts
VEGASRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeVEGASRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeVEGASRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeVEGASRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeVEGASRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeVEGASRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeVEGASRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeVEGASRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeVEGASRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeVEGASRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeVEGASRIDER has a reputation beyond repute

Or be like me and don't do it all. I only have 62,000 on my bike. I tend to stretch things out.

VR's Rider Resume
VEGASRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:53 PM   #6
DefyInertia
Former '04 FZ6 Rider

Bike: '08 Aprilia Tuono 1000 R
Thanked 2,281 Times in 965 Posts
DefyInertia has a reputation beyond reputeDefyInertia has a reputation beyond reputeDefyInertia has a reputation beyond reputeDefyInertia has a reputation beyond reputeDefyInertia has a reputation beyond reputeDefyInertia has a reputation beyond reputeDefyInertia has a reputation beyond reputeDefyInertia has a reputation beyond reputeDefyInertia has a reputation beyond reputeDefyInertia has a reputation beyond reputeDefyInertia has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Clearly I don't know what you bike sounds like and can't tell you if it's fine or not, but out bike is known for making a tapping noise. Everyone freaks out about it when they first get the bike....there are threads on it. Yours could be different, or not.

Tell the tech the valve clearance CHECK interval is 24,000 miles and often no adjustment is needed. Tell him you're going to get a second opinion and see what he says. Then go get a second opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASRIDER View Post
Or be like me and don't do it all. I only have 62,000 on my bike. I tend to stretch things out.
The roll the dice, close your eyes, and hope for the best method. AKA, the Vegas method.

My YouTube Videos My Rider Resume
DefyInertia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:07 PM   #7
Tailgate

Bike: 2007 Yamaha FZ-6
Thanked 1,137 Times in 579 Posts
Tailgate has a brilliant futureTailgate has a brilliant futureTailgate has a brilliant futureTailgate has a brilliant futureTailgate has a brilliant futureTailgate has a brilliant futureTailgate has a brilliant futureTailgate has a brilliant futureTailgate has a brilliant futureTailgate has a brilliant futureTailgate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamus McFeeley View Post
The inspection window is (around) every 26,000 miles.

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY AT THE DEALER. For the sake of your engine, and your wallet.
You know, you probably don't realize it but the guy running the shop probably has huge boat payments. Add to that, the berthing charges, the astronomical fuel bill with operating a 35 foot boat, the insurance, the ridiculous Heinekin bill, entertainment, bikinis, etc., and it makes a gigantic expense. So, keep in mind that he has huge bills to pay and, therefore, you're getting a bargain. And, please smile when you pay the $95.00+ hour labor charge for the valve job---how would you like to have to charge people $400.00 or so for a valve check/adjustment?
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote