Header
Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum

Home Gallery Forum Classified Ads Chat Links Reviews Memberships Games Site Info Shop

Go Back   Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum > FZ6 Related Discussion > FZ6 General Discussion

FZ6 General Discussion Everything Else

Old 11-24-2009, 09:03 PM   #1
fazer.rider

Bike: Pearl White Fazer S2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
fazer.rider has a spectacular aura aboutfazer.rider has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
what does the inside of our gas tank look like?

hi im just curious as to what it looks like. i have a full tank of gas that i need to siphon as much as i can so i can remove the tank. can i just shove a hose via the gas cap to achieve this? thanks.
fazer.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:12 PM   #2
Fred
M em b er e d

Bike: See Signature
Thanked 1,426 Times in 611 Posts
Fred has a reputation beyond reputeFred has a reputation beyond reputeFred has a reputation beyond reputeFred has a reputation beyond reputeFred has a reputation beyond reputeFred has a reputation beyond reputeFred has a reputation beyond reputeFred has a reputation beyond reputeFred has a reputation beyond reputeFred has a reputation beyond reputeFred has a reputation beyond repute
Re: what does the inside of our gas tank look like?

You'll get a lot of it, but not all.

Fred
1990 BMW K75 Turbo (Garrett GT-15 turbocharger. Megasquirt ECU controlling fuel and spark. LC-1 Wideband O2 sensor. Paralever conversion and K1100LT rear wheel. R1100RT front wheel and rotors. K1100RS brakes with custom caliper brackets.)
2007 Yamaha FZ6 (Stebel Nautilus horn, Valentine 1 hardwired with remote display and audio, Mix-It sound mixer modified for hidden installation, Mayer saddle, true dual high/low headlights. Relay, fuse panel and lockdown blocks for all additional wiring. R6 fork. RyanK fender mounts.)
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:23 PM   #3
fazer.rider

Bike: Pearl White Fazer S2
fazer.rider has a spectacular aura aboutfazer.rider has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
You'll get a lot of it, but not all.

Fred
i remember reading somewhere that a little left over gas in the tank does not pose a problem for tank removal. true?
fazer.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:08 PM   #4
brico

Bike: FZ6
brico is on a distinguished road

Make sure you do not smoke while doing this ;-))
brico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:22 PM   #5
D-Mac
Distance Rider

Bike: 2007 FZ6
D-Mac is a jewel in the roughD-Mac is a jewel in the roughD-Mac is a jewel in the rough

I was looking at the tank today in preparation for plumbing an extra line into the bottom for an aux fuel cell (I'm going to weld a bung and run a line from a fuel cell into the bottom of the tank just above the fuel pump).

It looks like the fuel line coming from the tank (from the fuel pump plate) is a quick-disconnect line. I didn't look closely enough to see if it's one of the fancy 'no leak' disconnects or not. If it isn't you could unplug the line and quickly (!) attach a hose or funnel/hose rig before it drains out over the engine. If not, you will need to siphon the tank.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, does the fuel pump keep fuel from leaving the tank when it's off? (I bet it does - I've never removed a tank on a bike with FI). If so, you'll need to siphon and then invert the tank. If you need to do anything serious (e.g., welding), you'll also want to remove the fuel pump to get everything clean and emptied out.
2007 Red "Touring" FZ6 Cee Bailey's windshield / BD43 headlight mod / Oxford heated grips / SW-Motech engine guard + pegs / Scottoiler + LT / Custom fuel cell (4 gal) / Russell Day-long custom seat / Throttle Rocker / 17t front sprocket / Destickered / Cortech mini tankbag / Givi V35 sidecases / Givi V46 topcase / Garmin Zumo GPS / SPOT satellite tracker Iron Butt Association #34459 [SS1000x2 BB1500]

Last edited by D-Mac; 11-24-2009 at 10:25 PM.
D-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:38 PM   #6
GAH

Bike: 2006 FZ6
GAH is on a distinguished road

I had to have a dent repaired in the tank right after I bought it (yeh, my fault). I took the tank to the body shop almost empty, but they had to take the pump out to empty it completely.
GAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:39 PM   #7
cv_rider

Bike: 07 FZ6 Red
cv_rider has a spectacular aura aboutcv_rider has a spectacular aura about

Get a gas siphon from an auto parts store. It's basically a hose with a hand pump in the middle. Costs $5 and takes 5 minutes to siphon out the gas. When you remove all the gas you can with the siphon, you can remove the quick connects and no gas will come out.
cv_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:47 PM   #8
Wolfman

Bike: 2006/07 FZ6 "hybrid" Cafe fighter / 1996 TRX850 / 1982 500SL Pantah / 1991 FZR1000 EXUP
Thanked 13,095 Times in 6,214 Posts
Wolfman has a reputation beyond reputeWolfman has a reputation beyond reputeWolfman has a reputation beyond reputeWolfman has a reputation beyond reputeWolfman has a reputation beyond reputeWolfman has a reputation beyond reputeWolfman has a reputation beyond reputeWolfman has a reputation beyond reputeWolfman has a reputation beyond reputeWolfman has a reputation beyond reputeWolfman has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfman

You can remove the tank full or empty....just undo the 2 bolts at the front, the one at the rear, lift up the tank before undoing rear bolt....and disconnect fuel pump....tank comes straight off...done it a million times, no trouble.

One thing this bike is, is musical!

Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wolfman For This Useful Post:
ender (11-25-2009), fazer.rider (11-25-2009), Fred (11-25-2009), Kriswithak (11-24-2009)
Old 11-25-2009, 05:53 AM   #9
macem29
Banned

Bike: BLUE 2007
macem29 is a jewel in the roughmacem29 is a jewel in the roughmacem29 is a jewel in the roughmacem29 is a jewel in the rough

http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/fz6-g...en-remove.html
macem29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:06 AM   #10
Guitar Man
Keep moving!!!!

Bike: 09 Yamaha FZ6 51,600 miles
Guitar Man has a spectacular aura aboutGuitar Man has a spectacular aura about

I've taken my tank off full. Just have a rag or small bowl handy. It will leak a little fuel when you disconnect the line, but it's not much.
51,600 miles on my 09 FZ6. U.S.:Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Montana, New Mexico, Nevada, North Carolina, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wyoming. Canada: Alberta, British Columbia.
Guitar Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guitar Man For This Useful Post:
fazer.rider (11-25-2009), Wolfman (11-25-2009)