Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Vrrroooooom! 07 fz6 cluster not working Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: 07 fz6 cluster not working

@FinalImpact @TownsendsFJR1300

There is a fuse that feeds the cluster. The wire is red with a green tracer. If there is no voltage at this wire the fuse may be blown. Of course...why did it blow?

The fuse is listed as backup 4 on the schematic but it is in fact in circuit. It's listed as a 10 amp fuse...
    Last edited by Motogiro; 02-26-2014 at 08:33 AM.
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone FinalImpact's Avatar
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Motogiro View Post
    @FinalImpact @TownsendsFJR1300

There is a fuse that feeds the cluster. The wire is red with a green tracer. If there is no voltage at this wire the fuse may be blown. Of course...why did it blow?

The fuse is listed as backup 4 on the schematic but it is in fact in circuit. It's listed as a 10 amp fuse...
    Post # 8 bro What's funny is when you look at the bikes right side (under the pod), the first impression is its spare fuse. But ya, "backup fuse" for "time" operations.

Pretty healthy fuse for little a LCD Crystal circuit! From its rating alone, it seems more important than running a clock for time. Would be nice to know if its alive or open!?!
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

3. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FinalImpact View Post
    Post # 8 bro What's funny is when you look at the bikes right side (under the pod), the first impression is its spare fuse. But ya, "backup fuse" for "time" operations.

Pretty healthy fuse for little a LCD Crystal circuit! From its rating alone, it seems more important than running a clock for time. Would be nice to know if its alive or open!?!
    Sorry Randy. Was at the end of the day and I was rushing and just pulled my nose out of the schematic on another post... Derrrr!

Yeah, I was also questioning that 10 amp. Could easily use a 2 amp there.
    Last edited by Motogiro; 02-26-2014 at 10:04 AM.

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

5. Thanks FinalImpact thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Motogiro View Post
    Sorry Randy. Was at the end of the day and I was rushing and just pulled my nose out of the schematic on another post... Derrrr!
    Just given you [email protected]! Instead of the FSM tonight; throw your feet up and do like 4X of these and relax!
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

7. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    joshk5145 (OP)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking more and more like it's the cluster. Finally got a few minutes and checked all of the power and grounds that you listed and everything seems good. Haven't had a chance to ohm out the other wires yet. If anyone has a cluster please PM me. I'll try to find the guy that did the r6 swap and see what he has.
    Thanks again.

9. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by joshk5145 View Post
    Looking more and more like it's the cluster. Finally got a few minutes and checked all of the power and grounds that you listed and everything seems good. Haven't had a chance to ohm out the other wires yet. If anyone has a cluster please PM me. I'll try to find the guy that did the r6 swap and see what he has.
    Thanks again.
    If it doesn't light and it has power and ground, you might just open it up. Perhaps something obvious has opened or failed. Several of us have soldering and repair skills so that may be an option if it comes down to that.
    Any chance you can borrow an oscilloscope from someone??? We could see if there is data on the buss, but the the no lights if the other things are true is kind of a give away...

So you looked at this:
    R/W (Red w/White trace) = power
    B/W (Black w/White trace) = ground to the ECM. Follow to ECM.

Do these two points if connected via DMM show 13+ volts at the harness when running? Others have ran these w/out the gauge attached. No harm that I know of.
    08 Raven w/a few mods...

11. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Duplicate post
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 02-28-2014 at 02:33 PM.
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

joshk5145 (OP)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it doesn't light and it has power and ground, you might just open it up. Perhaps something obvious has opened or failed. Several of us have soldering and repair skills so that may be an option if it comes down to that.
    Any chance you can borrow an oscilloscope from someone??? We could see if there is data on the buss, but the the no lights if the other things are true is kind of a give away...

So you looked at this:
    R/W (Red w/White trace) = power
    B/W (Black w/White trace) = ground to the ECM. Follow to ECM.

Do these two points if connected via DMM show 13+ volts at the harness when running? Others have ran these w/out the gauge attached. No harm that I know of.
    Yes I did check r/w and b/w. I also checked r/g (if I remember correctly) as another member had suggested as well. I on,y had a few minutes so I unplugged the big white connector and checked it at the pins. Also reseated the plug in the back of the cluster. I will check again with my DMM as I only had my test light handy. ( bike is at my in laws and I left the DMM at home ) out of state at the moment so hopefully I'll get to pull it apart Sunday. I don't think I know anyone with an oscilloscope unfortunately though.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by joshk5145 View Post
    Yes I did check r/w and b/w. I also checked r/g (if I remember correctly) as another member had suggested as well. I on,y had a few minutes so I unplugged the big white connector and checked it at the pins. Also reseated the plug in the back of the cluster. I will check again with my DMM as I only had my test light handy. ( bike is at my in laws and I left the DMM at home ) out of state at the moment so hopefully I'll get to pull it apart Sunday. I don't think I know anyone with an oscilloscope unfortunately though.
    The reason i mentioned it again was that results from using the engine as ground vs using the wire in the loom could change the results. If you do have the ohm meter you might ohm between the ecm gnd (b/w) and the engine/chassis gnd. I recall i tried to do some test that gave sketchy results as the ecm uses a "floating gnd" which not equal to engine/chassis gnd. Does that make sense?
    Again, you might just pop the screws from the gauge and open it... mind you it is static sensitive so dont stand on the carpet and crack it open.
    08 Raven w/a few mods...

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reason i mentioned it again was that results from using the engine as ground vs using the wire in the loom could change the results. If you do have the ohm meter you might ohm between the ecm gnd (b/w) and the engine/chassis gnd. I recall i tried to do some test that gave sketchy results as the ecm uses a "floating gnd" which not equal to engine/chassis gnd. Does that make sense?
    Again, you might just pop the screws from the gauge and open it... mind you it is static sensitive so dont stand on the carpet and crack it open.

ECU ground should be the same as engine/chassis and battery negative. Maybe a possible .02 VDC potential difference because of resistance loss in wire and connector pin but it should be very close.

Does sound like an open inside the unit.

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

16. Thanks FinalImpact thanked for this post

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast