Header
Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum

Home Gallery Forum Classified Ads Chat Links Reviews Memberships Games Site Info Shop

Go Back   Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum > General Motorcycle Forums > The Bar

The Bar Pull up a stool. This is an open forum where you can discuss whatever you wish.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:01 AM   #1
wrightme43

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Destruction of our Constitutional rights.

Let me begin by saying I do not drink. I have absolutely zero worry of getting a DUI, DWI, for alcohol or any drugs.

DUI BLOG : Bad Drunk Driving Laws, False Evidence and a Fading Constitution

It is insane how far this has gone.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:40 AM   #2
sportrider

wow what a clever diversion technique. reading all that might make someone think the "man" is out to get you. however the one simple thing that he never mentions is driving is a privilege not a right. so once that point is made, his whole spill about infringing on your rights is kinda thrown out the window. I have no problems with sobriety check points. I think I'm not the only one on the forum who has had to dodge a drunk. I've seen first hand the aftermath of a horrible crash, only later to find out the person who caused it was under the influence. personally I think the requirements for a drivers license should be more strict then what they are. there are enough terrible drivers on the road as it is. anything to get a few off of it I fully support!!!

Last edited by sportrider; 11-11-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:43 AM   #3
OneTrack

Bike: 2006 Yamaha FZ6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OneTrack has much to be proud ofOneTrack has much to be proud ofOneTrack has much to be proud ofOneTrack has much to be proud ofOneTrack has much to be proud ofOneTrack has much to be proud ofOneTrack has much to be proud ofOneTrack has much to be proud ofOneTrack has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
For a glimpse of America's future (if you allow your liberal politicians to prevail) on Rights issues such as this, look at Canada today.
Despite Canada having a Constitution, based on the English Bill of Rights (in turn based on the Magna Carta), the articles of this same constitution are routinely ignored and abused by our politicians when in power "for the good of the people".
Road blocks to "find drunken drivers" have been in effect for years now. Our odious "Firearms Act" puts law-abiding gun owners in the position of being guilty until they can prove their innocence....and that's just the tip of the iceberg.
Be ever vigilant!
OneTrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 10:50 AM   #4
OneTrack

OneTrack has much to be proud ofOneTrack has much to be proud ofOneTrack has much to be proud ofOneTrack has much to be proud ofOneTrack has much to be proud ofOneTrack has much to be proud ofOneTrack has much to be proud ofOneTrack has much to be proud ofOneTrack has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportrider_fz6 View Post
wow what a clever diversion technique. reading all that might make someone thing the "man" is out to get you. however the one simple thing that he never mentions is driving is a privilege not a right. so once that point is made, his whole spill about infringing on your rights is kinda thrown out the window. I have no problems with sobriety check points. I think I'm not the only one on the forum who has had to dodge a drunk. I've seen first hand the aftermath of a horrible crash, only later to find out the person who caused it was under the influence. personally I think the requirements for a drivers license should be more strict then what they are. there are enough terrible drivers on the road as it is. anything to get a few off of it I fully support!!!
I doubt that it's ever been "proven" that police road blocks ("sobriety check points") reduce the number of drunken drivers or accidents caused by drunken drivers.
Don't misunderstand me...I despise people who drink excessively and then choose to drive. In my experience, the most chronic alcoholic drivers will continue to drink and drive despite the risk of being stopped and detained at one of these road blocks. Should we do nothing, then? No, of course not. Society seems to have ceased "policing" itself, preferring to leave that to the "authorities".
Personally, I will ALWAYS discourage someone in my company from driving home if they're under the influence of alcohol. Unfortunately, we can't always save someone from themselves.
While I cannot help but agree with you that the above-captioned article is cleverly written and somewhat manipulative, the message is also valid....that there is a line that must not be crossed when the majority are made to suffer for the indiscretions of a minority. The insufferable mess at airport "security" is a good example of that.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:17 AM   #5
sportrider

I agree with some of the statements that were made in the article, but the topic was drunk driving. what is going on in the article is a common problem in politics and most legal battles. I call it smoke and mirror tactics you take one bill that should be passed attach a bunch of B.S. to it and it will kill the bill dead in its tracks. looking at the airport security problem, that is by a bunch of liberal left wingers that are far to concerned with being politically correct then by electing to use common sense. I highly doubt a 60 year old white lady is going to blow up a plane, but if you don't stop her the same way you would stop the middle eastern dude with the big turban on hes head carrying a copy of the Koran chanting some thing about Allah, you are racially profiling and not politically correct.
come on people lets use some common sense here. not every issue is race related if you choose to dress like a gang banger don't cry racism when your harassed by the cops, the same should be said if your caught drunk driving sack up and take responsibility for your actions. you weren't arrested because you were black, white, mexican or anything else your rights weren't violated because you had to blow in a Breathalyzer. you were arrested because you were drunk.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:30 AM   #6
wrightme43

Please do not misunderstand, I am not for drunk driving, I am totally against it.

Here is the problem.

If the rules of evidence, and innocence until PROVEN guilt are followed this is unacceptable.

Its not fixing the drunk driving problem, its a profitable business.

Its not ok to set up checkpoints.
Your papers please, give me your papers.
Our liberties are being erroded for money and control.

If there is no way to refute evidence, its easy to falsify evidence. I am a big fan of the police, but they are human.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:03 PM   #7
sportrider

I can see how this is a delicate situation. I can see it both ways. one one hand its an inconvenience to motorists, on the other its an infringement on your right of presumed innocents. out here normally every holiday weekend or event weekend they announce there will be a sobriety check point at whatever street it will be. still at an average check point they give out 1-200 DUIs plus catch other offenses like driving on a suspended license, no insurance, and other warrant arrests that they otherwise would not have caught. it seems to me the only people that "suffer" is the people that have done something wrong. and I use the term "suffer" sarcastically, I don't consider paying the consequences of ones action suffering. if I ever get popped for speeding I have no one to blame but myself. too bad the rest of the world doesn't see it the same way.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:09 PM   #8
OneTrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportrider_fz6 View Post
if I ever get popped for speeding I have no one to blame but myself
Well, so much for California being just like Canada. It's NOT your fault that you were speeding, it's society's fault.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:32 PM   #9
sportrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrack View Post
Well, so much for California being just like Canada. It's NOT your fault that you were speeding, it's society's fault.
LOL how true it is...
Old 11-11-2007, 05:42 PM   #10
F250moto

Bike: 2006 FZ6
F250moto is on a distinguished road
Obviously because I am a police officer, I have some issues with this article. I do however feel that DUII check points are helpful and life savers. Unfortunately in Oregon the police cannot use them. However, when I was in California they were used all the time. The check point is not a manditory (sp?) stop, as they must leave an exit point just prior to it. Meaning, if they set it up at an intersection there has to be another avenue of escape between the warning signs and the check point. The other issued I had with the article was the breath test and the .08%. Just because you are under a .08% doesn't mean your innocent of DUII. That is the premiafiacia (again sp?) DUII. I arrested folks as low as a .04% which were way too intoxicated to drive. The number has more to do with your abilty to metabolize and react to the alcohol. Sorry about the long post. I feel DUII arrests save lives, and I also feel that its not a crime by dirtbags, but also most normal people. At any rate, its people making mistakes.
Whew..... I'm off my soap box and this has inspired me to hunt for DUII's tonight.....
F250moto is offline   Reply With Quote